This is Stormi from Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my! I downgraded blogs because I wasn't using the other one as much and didn't need the extra expense. Hope you all will join me here!

Thursday, August 3, 2023

Review of The Paris Agent



 1970—In the aftermath of his war-ravaged past, Noah Ainsworth is still haunted by memories of his time as a fearless British operative in France. But a critical head injury left Noah with frustrating memory gaps and a burning question that plagues him—who was the agent who saved his life during that tragic final mission?

Determined to find answers, Noah's daughter Charlotte embarks on a quest from their cozy home in Liverpool, leading her to the incredible lives of two ordinary women—Chloe and Fleur—who transformed into fearless spies on foreign soil. But as Charlotte unravels the heroic exploits of these women and their connection to Noah, she inadvertently stumbles upon evidence of a double agent lurking disturbingly close to home, drawing her into a treacherous web of secrets and unearthing a shocking story from those final days of the war.

Once again, Kelly Rimmer takes readers on a gripping journey, one that threads the lives of two remarkable women into the fabric of history, unveiling the power of courage, family and the indelible mark left by the darkest era of human conflict.

First I am going to state that I don't read much historical fiction and that I am not a huge fan of books centered around WWII, but I thought the blurb sounded interesting and I think I might have thought it was going to be a bit more of a mystery with the blurb talking about the double agent, etc. 

So this is told with three POVs, there is Charlotte who is trying to help her father find the man who saved him and he is also hoping to remember some things he can't. Then Chloe/Josie and Fleur/Eloise who were the female spies that new Noah during the war. 

I must say that I was a bit confused listening to this one because the chapters said Josie and Eloise and it took me half the book to figure out the other names belonged to the same ladies. I also couldn't really tell you that much about what happened with them beside the fact that during this time that the book is set in there was a traitor in their midst and they didn't know who that person was till it was to late. 

I was more interested in the 1970's timeline with Charlotte who after she finds a guy to help them. Theo was a family genealogy researcher who knew the man in charge of trying to find all those who worked in the SOE, it seems they had been trying to find Noah for a long time but he swears he never got any of the letters.  Some things from this time during the war and the SOE operatives are still classified but they were able to find the guy that Noah wanted to talk to were he finds out some things he was not happy about. Charlotte could tell how upset it made her father so she wants to try and figure out what exactly happened and how it involves her father, which brings them to eventually learning about the two ladies and finding out about the double agent.

Okay so I will say that for me this was a bit of a slow story and while the end of it was very sad and emotional, I think I thought the 1970s timeline was going to be a bit more suspenseful with finding the double agent part but it wasn't, it was just wrapped up with yep this is what happened and it was a horrible thing and that is that. So was kind of a let down. 

I do think that people who really enjoy books centered on WWII will probably enjoy this much more than I did, but I did think it was okay, just not really my thing. I tried dipping my toe into just  Historical Fiction and will stick more with my Historical romances and mysteries...lol.

3 stars

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of WWII stories so I get it. But it's good to try new genres every once and a while 😁

    ReplyDelete

Week in Review #80

How was your week? What did you get? The Week in Review is where I combine Stacking the Shelves , The Sunday Post and It's Monday! Wh...