This is Stormi from Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my! I downgraded blogs because I wasn't using the other one as much and didn't need the extra expense. Hope you all will join me here!

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Two Bloggers One Book ~ Return to Virgin River

It is a bit sad saying goodbye to a great series as I have grown so use to the characters and life in Virgin River. After you see what I thought of the last book go on over to Barbs from Booker T's Farm and see her thoughts. 


Kaylee Sloan’s home in Southern California is full of wonderful memories of the woman who raised her. But the memories are prolonging her grief over her mother’s recent death. A successful author, Kaylee hoped she could pour herself into her work. Instead she has terrible writer’s block and a looming deadline.

Determined to escape distractions and avoid the holiday season, Kaylee borrows a cabin in Virgin River. She knows the isolation will help her writing, and as she drives north through the mountains and the majestic redwoods, she immediately feels inspired. Until she arrives at a building that has just gone up in flames. Devastated, she heads to Jack’s Bar to plan her next steps. The local watering hole is the heart of the town, and once she crosses the threshold, she’s surprised to be embraced by people who are more than willing to help a friend—or a stranger—in need.

Kaylee’s world is expanding in ways she never dreamed possible. And when she rescues a kitten followed by a dog with a litter of puppies, she finds her heart opening up to the animals who need her. And then there’s the dog trainer who knows exactly how to help her. As the holidays approach, Kaylee’s dread turns to wonder. Because there’s no better place to spend Christmas than Virgin River.

We are finally at the last book in the Virgin River series and I am a little sad. It's weird because book 18 came out in 2012 and then this one came out in 2020 so that is an interesting bit a time between them. I wouldn't be sad if she wanted to come back from time and to time and do more in this series. :) 

This book gives us new characters which is nice but kind of strange because they normally seem to be kin to someone most of the time. Anyway this is about Kaylee who is still trying to get over the loss of her mother because they were quite the team. She doesn't really know her father as he left them when she was younger and got remarried a couple of times and even though her mother still talked to him from time to time Kaylee and her dad were just not close. Her relationship with her dad is a part of this story. Anyway, she needs to work on a book that she was suppose to be working on but couldn't concentrate at home as it reminded her of her mom, so she goes to Virgin River to write. Some friends who have a vacation home there told her to use it but when she gets there it's on fire. 

Landry is a dog trainer and not new to Virgin River as he has spent a lot of time here with his grandfather (I think) anyway Landry was married but things didn't work out and he just really like Virgin River so decided to move there permanently. Dealing with his ex is a decent part of this book because that seems to be a theme in VR books. Anyway, Kaylee needs a place to stay and Landry has a guest house, but Kaylee is afraid of dogs and he is a dog trainer. 

I really enjoyed the romance in this one as it was very sweet and slow moving at first from friendship to lovers. I also love how Landry helps Kaylee over her fear of dogs and that his dog. I also thought the ex drama was handled very well and the relationship with Kaylee's father was very sweet.

I will say that this one was a little hard hitting for me since it's about a woman who lost her mom. Even though it has been a long time ago, it just made me think of my mom a lot. 

I am very sad to be finished with this series but I can't believe that Barb and I finished 19 book series! I am currently looking into what small town romance series we might try next. :)  If you love small town romances you really should give this one a try.  It's so different from the tv show so keep that in mind. In my opinion the books are so much better and less dramatic! :) 

5 stars

4 comments:

  1. I would love another book or two eventually. And I agree, the books are much better, and less drama-filled, than the Netflix series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun to have some holiday themed ones that were not Christmas come out. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad this final book was a winner. I'm impressed you and Barb read the entire series, it sounds like it will be hard to top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be hard to top, it was a great series!

      Delete

Week in Review #80

How was your week? What did you get? The Week in Review is where I combine Stacking the Shelves , The Sunday Post and It's Monday! Wh...