This is Stormi from Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my! I downgraded blogs because I wasn't using the other one as much and didn't need the extra expense. Hope you all will join me here!

Thursday, February 23, 2023

Two Bloggers One Book ~ One of the Girls

 


I am trying to read more Thrillers this year so when a reading prompt for my new TBR game on my youtube channel was for a thriller with a number in the title I found this one. I have never read Lucy Clarke before so I thought I would give it a go and invited my friend Barb to read it with me.  We had mixed feelings but I think she did like it more than I did. Go check out her review on Booker T's Farm after you see what I thought. :) 


It was supposed to be the perfect weekend away. Six very different women travel to a sun-soaked Greek island for a bachelorette trip, to celebrate Lexi’s upcoming wedding. From the glorious ocean views to the quaint tavernas and whitewashed streets, the vacation seems too good to be true. But dangerous undercurrents run beneath the sunset swims and midnight cocktails – because each of the women is hiding a secret. Someone is determined to make sure that Lexi’s marriage never happens – and that one of them doesn’t leave the island alive.


Gripping, twisty, and full of sun-soaked suspense, this timely thriller examines the joys of female friendship…as well as the deadly consequences when a relationship goes wrong.


So it's told from the POV of all 6 ladies and the chapters are short as they switch between the characters making it read a bit faster than I really think the pace was and I also think that the over all story was two long at 432 pages. 

Lexi is marrying Ed, Eleanor's brother and so Lexi's friends Bree, Robin and Finn want to have a Hen party, sort of a weekend getaway. Lexi invites Eleanor her soon to be brother-in-law and Ana a new friend. 

You soon find out that none of these ladies really have their acts together and that more than one have secrets and it was just to strange that these six people have their lives so entwined with each other, especially the new friend Ana and Eleanor since they are new to the group.

There is a narrator at times that is letting us know that something bad has happened on this weekend so you know someone is going to die you just don't know who or why and you just pretty much learn about each of these ladies and their relationship with each other as well as with Lexie. 

There was really not that much thrilling about this book and I really didn't think that it was building up to much of anything and I got bored pretty quickly. This really felt more like a woman's fiction novel with a small element of thriller at the the end when everyrthing happens. 

The ending I was not a huge fan of either because I feel it's a bit morally grey and it really wans't what I was expecting from the blurb of this book so felt a bit dupped. I can see where others might enjoy this more than me but just go in nowing it's a very slow build up to what happens as the killing doesn't even take place till almost the end and there was a point to where I was like is anything cool going to happen! 

I am still trying to find out what type of thrillers are for me and this just wasn't one of them.

2 stars

2 comments:

  1. Sorry this wasn't more thrilling! It seems like it should be, based on the story😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad that you didn't enjoy this as much as you expected. I'm always a bit nervous going into a book with that many different POVs as it can frequently fall a bit flat.

    ReplyDelete

Week in Review #81

How was your week? What did you get? The Week in Review is where I combine Stacking the Shelves , The Sunday Post and It's Monday! Wh...