This is Stormi from Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my! I downgraded blogs because I wasn't using the other one as much and didn't need the extra expense. Hope you all will join me here!

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Two Bloggers One Series ~ A Sinister Revenge

Barb and I have been reviewing the Veronica Speedwell series together for a long time and normally it's a great experience but not with the last couple. After checking out what I have to say, go check out Barb's review at Booker T's Farm.


Veronica must find and stop a devious killer when a group of old friends is targeted for death in this new adventure from the New York Times bestselling and Edgar Award–nominated author Deanna Raybourn.
Veronica’s natural-historian beau, Stoker, has been away in Bavaria for months and their relationship is at an impasse. But when Veronica shows up before him with his brother, Tiberius, Lord Templeton-Vane, he is lured back home by an intriguing job offer: preparing an iguanodon for a very special dinner party.

Tiberius has received a cryptic message—along with the obituaries of two recently deceased members of his old group of friends, the Seven Sinners—that he too should get his affairs in order. Realizing he is in grave danger but not knowing why, he plans a reunion party for the remaining Sinners at his family estate to lure the killer out while Veronica and Stoker investigate.

As the guests arrive and settle in, the evening’s events turn deadly. More clues come to light, leading Veronica, Stoker, and Tiberius to uncover a shared past among the Sinners that has led to the fatal present. But the truth might be far more sinister than what they were prepared for.

What I thought

Since the very first Veronica Speedwell book I have loved this series, then the author did something with the characters in last years book that I just wasn't a fan of and well the mystery just wasn't really that interesting. It was the first time the series didn't land on my favorite books and so I was hoping that this one would be better and although at the end one of my gripes does get fixed I just didn't care for Veronica in this story. 

So because of things that happened in the last book Stoker is off wondering somewhere and Veronica is off traveling around doing her butterfly thing but then is also traveling with Tiberius Stoker's brother. He then tells her that they need to find Stoker because Tiberius thinks someone is out to kill him becuase two of his school friends are dead and if anyone is going to help him figure it out it will be Veronica and Stoker.

Tiberius has a plan to get the killer to out him or herself by having a get together at him home and invite those who are a part of the seven sinners which was something Tiberius was a part of but while everyone is there someone dies and now they have to  figure out what happend there and if it has anything to do with the previous murders or not.

Okay so for me Veronica's attitude in this book is to much modern feminist in a historical setting, I don't mind her being an independent woman, and neither does Stoker or he wouldn't go off with her solving these crimes all the time. They are on the outs with each other and she thinks that he should be the one to make things right. She thinks she can just flaunt her feminine wiles and he would fall at her feet (that part cracked me up when he pushes her away and laughed at her). Stoker has been shot, stabbed, striped naked and nearly drowned for that woman, so she can do a little something to show she wants to be with him besides trying to use sex!  Also Veronica goes off willy nilly trying to be the one who catches the killer on her own to prove a point and I rolled my eyes.  

And just add in that I didn't find the mystery part all that interesting because there wasn't much mystery happening till about 60% when someone finally dies.

Now will I pick up the next book yes, but I no longer am going to go into it thinking I will love it. I just feel like it lost it's funness after book six. This is totally my opinion as a lot of others have really enjoyed this one, just not me. 

3.5 stars, rounded to 4 on Goodreads.

8 comments:

  1. So you summed up Veronica perfectly in this one. I did love that it wasn't so easy for her to get back in Stoker's good graces. I remember in the beginning when I thought we might get a werewolf book - still kind of wish we had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a bummer it was disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like maybe the series is becoming too long. Hopefully the next one will work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I would be okay if this was the last one even if it ends on a bad note for me as I liked how it ended.

      Delete
  4. I definitely enjoyed this more than you did though I do agree that Veronica's attitude is a bit much - especially for the time period. I also really liked that Stoker didn't just immediately forgive and forget. I hope you enjoy the next book more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope I enjoy the next one as I am so bummed.

      Delete

Week in Review #79

How was your week? What did you get? The Week in Review is where I combine Stacking the Shelves , The Sunday Post and It's Monday! Wh...