This is Stormi from Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my! I downgraded blogs because I wasn't using the other one as much and didn't need the extra expense. Hope you all will join me here!

Saturday, April 22, 2023

Review of The Grand Sophy

 Recieved a copy from Netgalley and the publisher for a fair and honest review.


When the redoubtable Sir Horace Stanton-Lacy is ordered to South America on business, he leaves his only daughter Sophy with his sister, Lady Ombersley, in Berkeley Square. But Sophy's cousins are in a sad state, and she's arrived just in time to save them all. But she hadn't reckoned with Charles Rivenhall, the Ombersleys' heir, who is very unappreciative of her efforts.

-------------

I think I have only read one other book by this author and it was a long time ago, but I was curious about this one when I seen it on Netgalley so grabbed it. 

I had to remind myself while I was reading this that it was written a long time ago when romances were written differently because this really didn't feel like a romance. I know it was I believe suppose to be mainly about Sophy, hense the title, but it was hard to believe in the conclusion.

Since Sir Horace was going to be gone to South America he asked his sister if it was okay to leave Sophy with her. It's funny because she is a grown woman but yet couldn't stay by herself, but such was the times. Anyway, Sophy is not your normal lady, I mean she comes bearing monkey as a gift for the kids!

When Sophy arrives she pretty much takes over things in a grand way. She was raised differently and is really one to put plans together to push people in the right way and this doesn't go very well with Charles Rivenhall, the heir and person in charge of the household. 

He doesn't like Sophy's interferences with how he is dealing with his sister and many other things. It was really hard to believe that in the end he falls for Sophy.

Although I will say I think I know pretty much the time he started to think a little differently about Sophy, but still he was pretty gruff about things right up till the things that happen at the end making this hard for me to believe in the romance. 

That aside I really liked Sophy and she made me laugh a lot, she was spunky, and brave and really turned the household upside down. So overall, I thought this was an okay read and would try more from this author.

3.5 stars

4 comments:

  1. I used to read Georgette Heyer books way back when I was a teenager, so I know what you mean. Not sure they would work for me now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, It's fun to try older books even if they are not always a total hit. :)

      Delete
  2. I read a few Georgette Heyer books years ago and did like them though did find them a bit slower. I'm glad you enjoyed it overall. I need to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete

Week in Review #80

How was your week? What did you get? The Week in Review is where I combine Stacking the Shelves , The Sunday Post and It's Monday! Wh...