This is Stormi from Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my! I downgraded blogs because I wasn't using the other one as much and didn't need the extra expense. Hope you all will join me here!

Thursday, April 27, 2023

Two Bloggers, One Series ~ Heart of Evil (Krewe of Hunters #2)

 So last year I got Barb to try book one in the Krewe of Hunters series (Phantom Evil) and she really enjoyed it so even though I am currently on book 17, I told her I would go back and reread the books with her and so that is what we are doing. I really like this series! Go see what Barb thinks of it so far! 

-------------------------------------------


Emerging from the bayou like an apparition, Donegal Plantation is known for its unsurpassed dining, captivating atmosphere, haunting legends and now a corpse swinging from the marble angel that marks its cemetery's most majestic vault. A corpse discovered in nearly the same situation as that of Marshall Donegal, the patriarch killed in a skirmish just before the Civil War.


Desperate for help traditional criminologists could never provide, plantation heiress Ashley Donegal turns to an elite team of paranormal investigators who blend hard forensics with rare & often inexplicable intuition. Among the Krewe of Hunters is an old flame, Jake Mallory, a gifted musician with talent stretching far beyond the realm of the physical, and a few dark ghosts of his own.

The evil the team unveils has the power to shake the plantation to its very core. Jake and Ashley are forced to risk everything to unravel secrets that will not stay buried even in death.

This one starts out with a Civil War reenactment that ends in a murder. One on the Yankee's side was not able to play in the reenactment, so they asked Charles from the Southern side to go and play a Yankee and well he wasn't happy about it and whined. So another guy spoke up and said that he would do it and that Charles could play Marshall Donegal and well that probably saved the one guys life but it was death for poor Charles.

When Charles goes missing Ashley Donegal is really worried something bad has happened, like she just knows, but they look all over and can't find him. Her grandfather who knows Harrison (founder of the Krewe) gives him a call and in come the Krewe of Hunters. The krewe is a special team of investigator with some slightly different skills, most of them have some sort of paranormal specialty, whether it's seeing ghost, hearing them, communitcating with them, etc. But they are all law enforcement and are still there to look for the evil in men not really thinking it's a ghost.

One of those team members is Jake who is the first on the scene because he has ties to the Donagals, he is Ashley's ex and can see ghost which is the one thing that ruined their relationship. Now though Ashley is seeing the ghost of her ancestor who is trying to help her out and now she is seeing Jake in a different light. 

When they find Charles body the way it was and then someone else turns up missing then dead and found in the swamps with the gators they are in a hurry to find out who is behind these because it sure isn't a ghost and someone may be after some revenge on the Donagals putting Ashley in danger. 
So I first read this one in 2016 and I will say that though I could recall a few things as reading this I couldn't remember much and enjoyed my second read. I know this series is very formulaic and not for everyone but for me it's just a paranormal comfort read and I haven't disliked one yet...lol. 

I love all those involved in the Krewe, Jackson is still my favorite (Phantom Evil), but I liked Jake. I did find it interesting that Ashley had to see a ghost for herself to help her see that Jake meant nothing bad when he told her what he did when they were together. I loved the ghost of Marshall Donagal he was a hoot!

So I love this series but can see how it would be hit or miss with some, so if you like paranormal romances give it a try and see where you fall.

4 stars

6 comments:

  1. I think I'd enjoy this, I usually love anything with ghosts😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun series that I think of as comfort reads as you usually know what your going to get. :)

      Delete
  2. I gave it 4/5 too. I would agree that they are formulaic but they are also very comforting and hopefully can take the place of our Virgin River comfort read series once we finish that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think they will be good for that. :)

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this one as well though to be fair I really enjoy this series (though it can be hit or miss). I've got a lot to catch up on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Great series. I have read to #17 but now rereading with Barb. :) There are so many we will be at this series a while...lol.

      Delete

Week in Review #80

How was your week? What did you get? The Week in Review is where I combine Stacking the Shelves , The Sunday Post and It's Monday! Wh...