This is Stormi from Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my! I downgraded blogs because I wasn't using the other one as much and didn't need the extra expense. Hope you all will join me here!

Sunday, August 13, 2023

Week in Review #47

 


The Week in Review is where I combine Stacking the Shelves, The Sunday Post and It's Monday! What are you reading?  If you have never joined in on these meme's you can check them out by clicking on the meme and it will take you to the host blog.

Hi everyone, hope you all had a great week!
So Wednesday I had the calcium score done, it took longer to get into the appointment that the actual scan they did that took like 10 minutes if that. I should have the results maybe Monday or Tuesday. This will at least tell me if something is wrong with my heart or if it really is just the fact I am overweight. Either way I would like to know as I get nervous when my heart rate goes up high and breathing is hard.
I have lost weight before I know I can do it I just need to get strict with myself but eating healthy is so expensive compared to buying junk. I just need to summon the will power! 
So that is pretty much the interesting things of the week. I did watch a movie on Netflix called Missing that was kind of reminded me of a mixed media thriller book but in video format. A tech savvy teen's mother goes missing and she uses her computer skills and all the apps to figure out what is going on. So basically you watch the movie through a computer screen web cam, ring door bell, facetime, etc. It's more of a drama but the thriller part ramps up at the end with the twist which is why it reminds me of a thriller book...lol.
That is pretty much all I have so have a great week and happy reading!

Books I have added

  • The Kingdom of Sweets - This is a nutcracker retelling and when I got the email about it I admit I was curious even though it's not my normal type of read.
  • The Christmas Appeal - I read The Appeal by this author and it was interesting. It's mixed media and you have to read the emails, text, etc and try and figure out first who was killed, then who the killer is along side the two investigators. It's a different kind of format.

Books read last week

I am splitting up I read because of a Face Off Challenge, so basically these are the three I read before the weekend challenge.

  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie - I wanted to love this book but it just ended up being okay for me, it's a very popular book and my first romance from the author (I have read her historical mystery series Kat Holloway which I love). I just didn't care the the characters much in this one.
  • Finders Keepers - I was bored with most of it but the end picked up and it ended up being okay for me.
  • Nightmare Island - This was a cool middle grade horror book that will be great for the fall season that is approaching. It is about Caribbean folklore and creepy kids with no faces!
Okay so I am participating in a readathon on Youtube called the Amazing Readathon and it's based on the Amazing race and this weekend has been a face off where each team has to try and read as many books as they can in a 48 hour time period. It started at 7 cst Friday night for me and we had to spin a wheel that the host made for us and what ever country we landed on our books had to have the colors of that countries flag on it. So between Friday night and Saturday night I listened to 6 short books. The longest one out of the group was Thirteens. the shortest ones were only a couple hours long. 
  • Scare Me - This author writes some pretty creepy middle grade. This one was about a haunted house and a contest to see who could decorate their floor the best, but something goes horribly wrong. I liked it.
  • Thirteens - The first book in a trilogy about three kids who are all turning thirteen on Halloween and the town who is not so nice and pretty much wants to give them to the January Man to keep their town the way it is. This happens every Thirteen years. I am curious to see how the trilogy will go.
  • Night of the Living Dummy - Twins who are rivals get two different dummy's and well one might be a bit possessed. It was decent.
  • Deserts, Driving and Derelicts - This is book two of the Campers and Criminals series and it had been a while since I have read book one but my group of cozy loving friends talk about it enough that I had no problem going into book two and it was okay.
  • Gettin' Witched - Book 12 in the Witchless in Seattle and I am not sure why it was not just a .5 in the series as it has no real mystery, no murder, I figured out why everyone was acting strange just trying to get Stevie to figure it out. It was only a few hours to listen too and was just okay.
  • I Even Funnier - Sequel to I Funny about Jamie the kid comedian and it was okay.

Currently reading

  • The Dangerous Lord - Was hoping to finish this one this weekend but the face off threw me off as I didn't know that was going to happen. I am enjoying this one and should finish soon as I am on 291 of 376.
  • The Gilded Web - I am half way through this one and to be honest I am just not real sure what I think of it, part of me don't like the other part just wants to keep reading...lol. On page 243 of 449.
  • The Dead Man in the Garden - Such a fun series about Aggie Morton (a young Agatha Christie) and her friend Hector Porot who solve crimes. It's a fun historical mystery for middle graders and adults as I love it. Only one more to be caught up (hope it's not finished yet).

What might be up next

 One of my historical romances I just don't know which one.

How was your week? What did you get?


4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the results! I think the Ashley book looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We definitely need to buddy read the Stine book in October. Hope your test results put your mind at ease. I got The Kingdom of Sweets too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stine writes some scary good books, I enjoy middle grade books and read a lot of them, enjoying it as much as when I was a young girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your test results, and it sounds like the readathon went pretty well!

    ReplyDelete

Week in Review #80

How was your week? What did you get? The Week in Review is where I combine Stacking the Shelves , The Sunday Post and It's Monday! Wh...