This is Stormi from Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my! I downgraded blogs because I wasn't using the other one as much and didn't need the extra expense. Hope you all will join me here!

Thursday, November 30, 2023

Two Bloggers One Book ~ IT by Stephen King

I am not sure why I let Barb talk me into reading this one. I think it's paybacks for making her read The Stand a few years back...lol. Once you see my thoughts you can go over and see what Barb thought at Booker T's Farm.


Welcome to Derry, Maine ...

It’s a small city, a place as hauntingly familiar as your own hometown. Only in Derry the haunting is real ...

They were seven teenagers when they first stumbled upon the horror. Now they are grown-up men and women who have gone out into the big world to gain success and happiness. But none of them can withstand the force that has drawn them back to Derry to face the nightmare without an end, and the evil without a name.


We did it! Barb and I finally finished this one. We might have started this one in September with the idea of finishing it in October and now it's the end of November. That should tell you just how well we both were enjoying this one...lol.

I have had this book on my shelf for over twenty years and never read it. I have seen the movie (the older one as Tim Curry will always be my Pennywise), but this book is so big I kept putting it off. I am going to just say I think I preferred the movie. 

So this is part coming of age story (the parts from when the group were kids) and then the other part is them being adults. The group faced a foe when they were young because it killed Bill's brother and then they all seemed to forget all about what happened. Then it starts up again and Mike who still lived in Derry calls them all back to face it all over again and while in Derry parts of what happened that one year comes back to them bit by bit. 

Okay so I didn't mind the parts when they were kids (well up till that ending), but I really could care less about them as adults. I was so bored, but then even the parts with them as kids started to get so boring. I am not sure why this book is so well liked but for me it was a bit of s snoozefest and I only finished because I had already invested a lot of time in it and wanted to say I read IT. :)

I think if King would take about 300 pages out of this book it could have been more interesting. 

3 stars (for finishing it and a fantastic narrator, Steven Weber)

6 comments:

  1. So I gave it the same rating and even then I think I was being generous. I also wanted to take about 500 pages out of it compared to your 300. I used to think "old" King was better, now I starting to reevaluate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't argue with taking 500 pages out...lol.

      Delete
  2. I think I'll just stick with the movie version of this one...which I do really like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to reread this, although after seeing your rating I'm not sure if that will ever happen, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be interesting to see if you still liked it. :)

      Delete

Week in Review #80

How was your week? What did you get? The Week in Review is where I combine Stacking the Shelves , The Sunday Post and It's Monday! Wh...