This is Stormi from Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my! I downgraded blogs because I wasn't using the other one as much and didn't need the extra expense. Hope you all will join me here!

Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Review for Of Manners and Murder


 1885: London, England. When Violet's Aunt Adelia decides to abscond with her newest paramour, she leaves behind her role as the most popular Agony Aunt in London, "Miss Hermione," in Violet's hands.

And of course, the first letter Violet receives is full, not of prissy pondering, but of portent. Ivy Armstrong is in need of help and fears for her life. But when Violet visits the village where the letters were posted, she finds that Ivy is already dead.

She'll quickly discover that when you represent the best-loved Agony Aunt in Britain, both marauding husbands and murder are par for the course.

I love historical mysteries and this one was so much fun!

Violet finds out from her Aunt that she is a popular Agony Aunt called "Miss Hermione" and that she wants Violet to continue in her place while she goes traveling. She can't let anyone know about it. It should be easy right? 

The first letter she gets is about Ivy who needs help because she thinks her life is in danger and Ivy can't just sit around and give her advice so she goes to find the lady and ends up getting there just in time for the lady's funeral. 

Everyone thinks it was some freak accident that killed her but Ivy isn't so sure because of the letter she got that listed suspects. She decides to try and talk to these suspects and see if she can't get more information about Ivy and her life. Everyone thought she was happily married but others didn't think so, there is the vicar in town who was in love with her, a woman who could have had plans to do away with her to get to her husband, a nice list of really good suspects. 

I would say the only thing I didn't like about this book was the parts that had her younger sister's POV, it wasn't real often but it was enough to be annoying because the girl was annoying. She is a teen who thinks everyone is against her because they found out about her writing to a man. Her parts do end up having relevance but she was just annoying.

I really liked Violet, she was an interesting character, I also liked some of the secondary characters and it was fun seeing her with this one guy who kept turning up now and then. There was some fun lines that made me chuckle. 

I thought it had a pretty decent mystery and I had a hard time figuring it out though I did but not long before the MC did. 

This was just a fun cozy historical mysytery and I would recommend it!

2 comments:

  1. This does sound fun. I don't read enough historical fiction, I should read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love historical mysteries! You should try it! :)

      Delete

Week in Review #79

How was your week? What did you get? The Week in Review is where I combine Stacking the Shelves , The Sunday Post and It's Monday! Wh...