This is Stormi from Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my! I downgraded blogs because I wasn't using the other one as much and didn't need the extra expense. Hope you all will join me here!

Thursday, March 30, 2023

Two Bloggers One Book ~ Early eARC Review of Burn the Negative

 

Barb and I tackled an eARC that we both had and I really had high hopes for this one but well that didn't go well...lol. I do think that Barb liked it a tad bit more than me. So after reading my review go on over and check out hers at Booker T's Farm.


In this incendiary mash-up of horror and suspense, a notorious slasher film is remade…and the curse that haunted it is reawakened.


Arriving in L.A. to visit the set of a new streaming horror series, journalist Laura Warren witnesses a man jumping from a bridge, landing right behind her car. Here we go, she thinks. It’s started. Because the series she’s reporting on is a remake of a ’90s horror flick. A cursed ’90s horror flick, which she starred in as a child—and has been running from her whole life.

In The Guesthouse, Laura played the little girl with the terrifying gift to tell people how the Needle Man would kill them. When eight of the cast and crew died in ways that eerily mirrored the movie’s on-screen deaths, the film became a cult classic—and ruined her life. Leaving it behind, Laura changed her name and her accent, dyed her hair, and moved across the Atlantic. But some scripts don’t want to stay buried.

Now, as the body count rises again, Laura finds herself on the run with her aspiring actress sister and a jaded psychic, hoping to end the curse once and for all—and to stay out of the Needle Man’s lethal reach.

This really had the potential to be a good one but it has an unreliable character which I am not a fan of so we are already off to a bad start. Laura is still tramatized from playing in a film The Guesthouse because of all the awful things that happened and because of her mother who forced her to do the film. 

Now there is a new remake being filmed and her editor at a entertainment type magazine wants her to cover the story. She soon finds out that he actual knew who she was even with the name change becuase someone close to her told him. He thought it would be a cool angle but with her anxiety and some bad things happening it turns out to be more nightmare than cool. 

Laura keeps seeing things that must be a halucination, blacks out and wakes up with chaos happening around her, this happens several times as it seems the bad vibes from the first movie have hit the remake and people are ending up dead. 

I am sure that the first part won't be boring for some but for me it was just horribly boring as we are trying to figure out what is going on, then it gets confusing at some parts. We are introduced to some people that you immediately are not sure about and if your like me will start speculating about what is going on. 

I felt there was a few continuity problems with Laura's missing luggage showing up but I am not sure how it got there and how everyone knew who the burned victim was when it wasn't mentioned at first but then later but those are small things. I may have even skimmed through the information when bored.

I wasn't a fan of any of the characters really, they just were not made to be likable so no one to really route for, which happens a lot in horror.

I thought the last 20% of the story was the most interesting part of the story as it was ramping up the finale and I must say it was a text book horror movie ending. You can tell that the author is a film nut.

Just because it wasn't for me doesn't mean that I can't see people enjoying it so if it sounds good give it a try. It has a really high rating on Goodreads so I could be in the minority. :) 

2.5 personal rating but 3 on Goodreads.

2 comments:

  1. While we had similar thoughts and feelings about this one, I do think I enjoyed it a tad bit more. I also ranted about the luggage A LOT more than you did so apparently, I'm clearly not letting that continuity issue go. Glad we tackled this one together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really sad you didn't enjoy this. It's one of my most highly anticipated books this year, since I loved his last book so much.

    ReplyDelete

Week in Review #79

How was your week? What did you get? The Week in Review is where I combine Stacking the Shelves , The Sunday Post and It's Monday! Wh...