This is Stormi from Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my! I downgraded blogs because I wasn't using the other one as much and didn't need the extra expense. Hope you all will join me here!

Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Review of Don't Open the Door

 


I received this book for a fair and honest from Netgalley and the publisher.


A child is shot while playing video games at home. His mother will stop at nothing to find out who did it—and why.

After their ten-year-old son, Chase, was senselessly murdered, Regan's life unraveled. Her corporate lawyer husband, Grant, blamed the death on Regan’s work as a US marshal. Unable to reconcile their grief, they divorced, and Regan quit her job and moved away.

Now she's back after a voice mail from her former boss Tommy said he had important news to share about Chase’s killing. Regan is stunned to learn Tommy is dead too. When she reaches out to Grant, his panicked reaction raises her suspicions. Then a lawyer with ties to her ex also turns up murdered, and the police make Grant their top suspect.

Unsure of his guilt or innocence, Regan risks everything to find Grant before the police do so she can finally get the answers to all that has haunted her since losing Chase. But the truth is not even close to what she imagines—and now she fears she has no one to trust.

So when I read The Sorority Murders last year I got the impression it was a stand alone and then seen that it was changed into a series now staring the ex US marshal Regan that we met in the first book. 

In the first book we find out about her son dying and why she was not a marshall any more so in this one we are getting those answers that we might have had about why he was killed and whodunit. As Regan was never really sure it was because of her job, but it broke up her marriage and turned her world upside down and she needs answers. When a friend who was looking into things is murdered it's time for Regan to step up and find out for herself what exactly happened.

That is about all I can say about this book as I feel like it's all spoilers...lol. I enjoyed this book well enough but it really doesn't have the same tone as the first book. I think that is because the first book was about a young man with a podcast searching for a killer and using the podcast so therefore you got a lot of podcast fun (especially on audiobook). It went quicker too as the pacing was faster. 

In this one it's just Regan against the world or close to it...lol. No fun podcast, just 400 pages of a mother trying to find out the truth and while I found it interesting and want to know what happened I also found it to be a lot slower in pace and a bit to long. 

I love Regan and weather this was just an extra book to wrap up what happen to Chase or if it will continue on as a series it's still worth reading. If it continues so will I but it also wraps up nicely. 

4 stars

2 comments:

  1. I can see why the podcast story might be more fun, lol. It's tough when a book starts feeling long, but at least you gave ot 4 stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was interested in the story just wished it was a tad shorter. :)

      Delete

Week in Review #79

How was your week? What did you get? The Week in Review is where I combine Stacking the Shelves , The Sunday Post and It's Monday! Wh...