This is Stormi from Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my! I downgraded blogs because I wasn't using the other one as much and didn't need the extra expense. Hope you all will join me here!

Thursday, September 14, 2023

Two Bloggers One Series ~ Jackaby

 Barb and I am starting a new series! So this one isn't as long thank goodness and different but I have actually read this first one but never continued so I am excited to get going on it. Once you see what I have to say, go on over to Booker T's Farm and see what Barb thought.


Newly arrived in New Fiddleham, New England, 1892, and in need of a job, Abigail Rook meets R. F. Jackaby, an investigator of the unexplained with a keen eye for the extraordinary--including the ability to see supernatural beings. Abigail has a gift for noticing ordinary but important details, which makes her perfect for the position of Jackaby’s assistant. On her first day, Abigail finds herself in the midst of a thrilling case: A serial killer is on the loose. The police are convinced it’s an ordinary villain, but Jackaby is certain it’s a nonhuman creature, whose existence the police--with the exception of a handsome young detective named Charlie Cane--deny.

This one was a reread for me but I didn't really remember a whole lot so it mostly felt new...lol.

Abigail Rook has run off in search of adventure and in need of a job, so when she sees an advertisement for a job as assistant she goes in search of it and finds R. F. Jackaby a very quirky and eccentric man who has the unique ability to see the things others don't, like the supernatural.

Abigail learns that Jackaby sort of inserts himself into cases if he thinks there are supernatural beings involved and she is sort of thrown into the thick of things right off the bat. There is a killer on the loose and the wailing woman is calling their demise and it's up to Jackaby and Rook to figure out what is going on. 

Jackaby and Rook are interesting characters and the banter between them was fun. Jackaby is very eccentric and sort of just says things without thinking which makes for some fun conversations. Add in an interesting house, a duck who was a former assistant, a ghost who hangs out in the house and it's just the makings of a fun book and I can't wait to get to the next one!

4 stars.

1 comment:

  1. I've read this and it was very fun. I hope you both love the rest of the series too!

    ReplyDelete

Week in Review #80

How was your week? What did you get? The Week in Review is where I combine Stacking the Shelves , The Sunday Post and It's Monday! Wh...